Sushi Express

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Nomikai

What do you get when you put japaneses, koreans and a singaporean who's well known back home as being a really really really bad drinker who gets really really really red very very very fast after only 1 really really really small sip of beer?
A VERY FUN EVENING!

Decided to brave what no singaporean should ever venture on his own - Go to a nomikai (drinking session, no.. should be HARDCORE drinking session) with the locals and alcohol-seasoned koreans at a local Izakaya (bar).


However, one should never turn down an invitation by someone who happens to be his supervisor at work, furthermore by a local. So, without having drank a single drop of beer, let alone sake, in weeks, I found myself sitting in the bar with 2 Japanese, sipping away my first mug of Asahi super dry beer cautiously while they had already downed their 3rd mug in 40 minutes. Madness. Just notice Yamada's smile below as we take a picture as we gambai. To the left is Iwasa, my supervisor who looks as if she never
had a single ray of sunlight illuminate her face. Oops she had better not read this. Haha.


Some food to get away the taste of the beer.

After 1 hour of boozing (I had 2 mugs!), some koreans from work,3 to be exact, swaggered into the bar. Choi below with Iwasa. Poor bloke's unsuspecting of the horrible fate awaiting him later that night...

A very red me with a happy Japanese and a not-so-high yet Korean, Oku. Shit cannot... high liao can't take it...

We decided to stop eating at this jap bar and headed down to a korean restaurant further down the road and join up with some more koreans. Man do they sure know how to party.

A bowl of water kimchi which I had at first. Very refreshing to drink after many rounds of oily meat.

More meat! A gigantic hot plate with pork slices. Similar to those I ate at Evon's aunt's house last time - Cook them, wrap with lettuces, some sauces, sesame leaves and you are good to go.

This is what impressed me the most. A big pot of chicken simmered in some sort of kimchi sauce. Absolutely delicious.

Some koreans.

A plate of wriggling octupus. They are apparantly very fresh, still moving about like worms while we pick them out with chopsticks, tentacles still hanging on dear life on the plate. Next, just dip them in soy sauce, and dump them into our mouths. And CHEW AS HARD AS POSSIBLE. Well at least i did. I had to kill the moving bastard.

KOREANS!!!

A group picture.

A shot glass. They drink 25% sake like water... and mix it with alot of beer... Scary.. What are their livers made of man?

Still not drunk yet...

AHA! A drunk korean, Choi. I was still holding my ground and yet he's gone earlier than me. Useless!!! HAHA!!!! Actually I only drank 2 beers and 1 shot.

After that, 2 more jap and some koreans (again from the office) walked in and took another table next to us. Time to cheers again!

Choi still dead.

Fake Bae yong jun showing the fellow self-called "erotic" guys a magic trick. Look at how happy alcohol make these guys. The guy in the middle sits behind me during work, and the number of sentences I hear him spout during work is so minimal I always forgot how his voice sounded like. Same with the fake BYJ. People sitting behind him told me how quiet and anti-social he is during work, how he can spend the entire day without speaking to anyone, and yet during nomikai, he totally transforms into another person. Amazing, the effects alcohol and a cosy cushion can do to someone.

Giving us their most erotic look. Shikishima (middle) looks totally off.

Who can resist a funny face at this state?

A very happy store owner. The koreans love this place as it reminds them of their homeland, and make it a must to come here all the time. They call her Oma, which is mother in korean, which the store owner will return with calls of 'son'. Tonight she's especially happy as her grandson is in town visiting, so we got freebies and drinks on the house! Also think that I'm very scary coz after this picture was taken, he cried. Ah... don't think he likes singaporeans.

Choi's belly..


After that was snowboarding wear shopping (at long last) on Saturday at Ochanomizu with the Sing Jam people. Think saturdays are reserved for them, sorry Clarence, wilson, ivan and toohan! Haha.
Reached!

Having lunch at some western restaurant. Very nice decor. I think my room will be decorated like this with monochrome pictures on the walls.

Muhtar (is your name spelled correct now) and Brendan. Think that might be the Meiji University campus behind us.

Jun and Soffiah with me.

After a shag day, went home and found these strangers in Ivan's room. Another nomikai, albeit in a small confined space. It's Yajima's birthday celebration as I learnt that day (the guy in front of me). Other new faces include (from my left) Mori, Holga, a Ukrainian, Tiiru, Singaporean, and Ken. Yeah more people to get acquainted to. Another good week ahead I hope!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home